|Brothers, John and William Quinn. Photos taken in the late 1920s.|
|Ellen Buckley and John Quinn|
November 22, 1927
John Quinn was one of my targets. He is an older brother of my husband's grandfather, William Quinn (#2). I was excited to find his wife's (Ellen/Ellie Quinn) naturalization papers at Ancestry. In the papers, I found her maiden name (Buckley), her place of birth (County Kerry), John's date of arrival from Ireland, and exactly when and where he completed his naturalization.
|Click to enlarge|
- Mrs. William Quinn in Caheravoneeen was the mother of both men.
- Margaret Quinn, sister to John and William, was living in Louisville.
- John Quinn arrived in the United States in October. The date on his wife's naturalization record is October 8, 1914. On his passport application, he stated he came over on October 28, 1914. The actual arrival date of "Willie Quinn" was October 6, 1914.
- On the ship manifest, Willie's age is 19. John would have been 24 years old and William / "Willie" 20 years old.
- According to the ship's manifest Willie (maybe John) was 5 feet 9 inches tall, had a dark complexion, dark hair, and brown eyes. The description of William Quinn on the ship's manifest in 1921 stated he was 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a dark complexion, black hair, and brown eyes. On the more specific draft registrations in 1942, John's eyes were gray-green and he had a ruddy complexion. William's eyes were hazel and his complexion was ruddy.
- On William Quinn's pension record from the Irish Defence Forces Military Archives in Dublin, Ireland. William wrote that in 1914 he joined the Irish Volunteers, Kinvara Company and he was active in drilling, training, and organizing. His participation in the company increased in 1915.
- William Quinn came to the United States in 1921. It was written on the manifest that it was his first time in the USA.
If you want to know more about the families I research, click here to like my Facebook page where you will see each post and other genealogical finds.
Family photographs and documents from the collection of Diana Bryan Quinn.
Family photographs from the collection of Mary Meaney Weber. Used with permission.
“Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963 for Willie Quinn.” https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/8745/MAT843_229-0296?indiv=try&h&db. Accessed 24 Feb. 2019.
New York, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1794-1940 for Ellie Quinn.https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/2280/31301_168092-00911/3985051?indiv=try&h&db. Accessed 23 Feb. 2019.
Quinn, Diana B. “Moments in Time, A Genealogy Blog: The Family of William Quinn and Bridget Brannelly.” https://momentsintimeagenealogyblog.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-family-of-william-quinn-and-bridget.html. Accessed 24 Feb. 2019.